So, my pal, Music with Ms. Carissa asked today about my travel tips for Cancun, Mexico. Here goes!
- Be prepared for a wait through customs to enter Mexico. Bring an ink pen so you can fill out your customs form while you wait in that long line. Yes, you have to fill out that bottom section of the form too. You’ll see what I mean… Be patient, the beach isn’t going anywhere.
- Leaving the airport: If your resort hasn’t arranged a bus/driver for your convenience, you can easily find a ride as you are walking out the exit through the gauntlet of taxi drivers. Or, you could just email my pal, Jose & he can hook you up with any one of his tour escort drivers that have access to the airport.
- There is a margarita stand at the exit of the airport. It is expensive. If you’re thirsty and ready to party, there’s no point in being cheap now.
- The drive to the “hotel zone” can be long, but the strip sits on a beautiful set of beach… so relax & enoy that margarita you bought.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol on your first day. I repeat, don’t drink too much… in fact, take that advice for the duration of your entire trip.
- Wear sunblock and a big floppy hat… at all times the sun is out.
- Drink alot of water (from a bottled source).
- Nachos are not authentic Mexican cuisine. Go to Mocambo’s on either Isla Mujeres or in the Hotel Zone. Try their ceviche, you won’t be disappointed.
- I’ve never been to Coco Bongos & probably never will, so I can’t vouch for them. However, the alley behind their place has a killer taco stand that makes an authentic al pastor that will set your taste buds a gas.
- Check out the funky market at Mercado 23. Buy a piece of pottery as your souvenir. You’ll smile when you put your salsa, guacamole or chips in it while you’re stuck back home wishing you were back on the beach in Mexico.
For some detailed locations to check out during your travels to Cancun Mexico, visit my Google Map